Country Preacher Ministries, Inc. encourages all readers to submit their own personal testimony to us through our Contact Tab. We would love to share what Jesus has done for you in your life with our folks who visit the website. We believe someone's testimony can be a powerful witnessing tool for the unsaved, as well as the saved. Share your testimony today, it will be a blessing for all!
Jesus Christ the same yesterday, and today, and for ever. Hebrews 13:8
Today, we are going to look briefly at eight of God’s covenants. God himself never changes, but his ways or plans can change. Please visit our Sermon tab and listen to our message from 3-9-14 entitled Covenant’s of God. We hope this will further explain, and define the covenant’s of God for you.
A DISPENSATION is a period of time during which man is tested in respect of obedience to some specific revelation of the will of God.
1. EDENIC (Innocency) And God blessed them, and God said unto them, Be fruitful, and multiply, and replenish the earth, and subdue it: and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth. Genesis 1:28
Man was created in innocency, placed in a perfect environment, subjected to a simple test, and he was warned of the consequence of disobedience. The woman fell through pride; the man deliberately.
And Adam was not deceived, but the woman being deceived was in the transgression. 1Timothy 2:14
God restored His sinning creatures, but the dispensation of innocency ended in the judgment of them being driven from the Garden of Eden.
Therefore the LORD God sent him forth from the garden of Eden, to till the ground from whence he was taken. So he drove out the man; and he placed at the east of the garden of Eden Cherubims, and a flaming sword which turned every way, to keep the way of the tree of life. Genesis 3:23-24 2
2. ADAMIC (Conscience) And I will put enmity between thee and the woman, and between thy seed and her seed; it shall bruise thy head, and thou shalt bruise his heel. Genesis 3:15
As in Innocency, under Conscience man would utterly fail. The judgment of the Flood marks the end of the second dispensation.
Adam and Eve had two sons Cain and Able. One day they brought their offering to God at the appointed place. God accepted Abel’s offering which was of the fat of a lamb, but he rejected Cain’s offering from the fruit of the ground.
After God rejected Cain’s offering he became mad and later out in the field slew his brother Abel. Because of this, a curse was placed upon Cain and he became a vagabond in the land of Nod. Later the Sons of God began to marry the daughters of men, and the human family descended further from God in their wickedness.
And GOD saw that the wickedness of man was great in the earth, and that every imagination of the thoughts of his heart was only evil continually. And it repented the LORD that he had made man on the earth, and it grieved him at his heart. And the LORD said, I will destroy man whom I have created from the face of the earth; both man, and beast, and the creeping thing, and the fowls of the air; for it repenteth me that I have made them. Genesis 6:5-7
God destroyed man because of sin, but Noah found grace in the eyes of the Lord. Man cannot live successfully by his conscience. He needs the Spirit of God & the Word of God.
3. NOAHIC (Human Government the second institution) In the Noahic Covenant man will have a new test. It is the institution of human government. The government of man, by man. The highest function of government is the judicial taking of life.
Whoso sheddeth man's blood, by man shall his blood be shed: for in the image of God made he man. Genesis 9:6
All other governmental powers are implied in that. Man is given the responsibility to govern the world for God.
Let every soul be subject unto the higher powers. For there is no power but of God: the powers that be are ordained of God. Whosoever therefore resisteth the power, resisteth the ordinance of God: and they that resist shall receive to themselves damnation. Romans 13:1-2
That responsibility rested upon the whole race, both Jew and Gentile. But both Israel and the Gentiles nations have governed for self, not for God. This is obvious. God told Noah to build an ark and gather into it two of the unclean, and seven of the clean animals. Because of man’s sin God destroyed all earth life, but Noah and his family. But God made Noah this promise;
I do set my bow in the cloud, and it shall be for a token of a covenant between me and the earth .... And I will remember my covenant, which is between me and you and every living creature of all flesh; and the waters shall no more become a flood to destroy all flesh. Genesis 9:13,15
Afterwards, God began to refill the earth with Noah’s three sons. Look at the corruption and the injustice there is today in the governments of the world.
4. ABRAHAMIC (around - 1900 BC) Now the LORD had said unto Abram, Get thee out of thy country, and from thy kindred, and from thy father's house, unto a land that I will shew thee: And I will make of thee a great nation, and I will bless thee, and make thy name great; and thou shalt be a blessing: And I will bless them that bless thee, and curse him that curseth thee: and in thee shall all families of the earth be blessed. Genesis 12:1-3
God promised Abraham I will make of thee a great nation. Fulfilled in a Threefold Way:
- A - In a natural posterity—"as the dust of the earth Genesis 13:16; John 8:37, (Hebrew people.)
- B - In a spiritual posterity—"look now toward heaven…so shall thy seed be" John 8:39; Romans 4:16,17; 9:7,8; Galatians 3:6,7,29 - All men of faith, whether Jew or Gentile. C - Fulfilled also through Ishmael. Genesis 17:18-20
God promised "I will bless thee." Fulfilled in Two Ways:
- A - Temporally In this life. Genesis 13:14,15,17 15:18 24:34,35
- B - Spiritually with a spiritual people. Genesis 15:6 John 8:56
"And make thy name great."
Abraham is one of history’s universal names. Abraham would not do anything to receive God’s promise to him. No matter what, God would give the descendants of Abraham a land. The land where the nation of Israel exists today, and much more than they now occupy.
Abraham is more well known than any other person. He is the father of three religions.
But none of these religions will save a sinner; only Jesus is the savior of the world.
Neither is there salvation in any other: for there is none other name under heaven given among men, whereby we must be saved. Acts 4:12
I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me. John 14:6
If you want to be saved, then you must come to Jesus and trust him as your own savior. God’s covenant with Abraham was unconditional. This was something God was going to do regardless. All because Abraham believed God.
Even as Abraham believed God, and it was accounted to him for righteousness. Galatians 3:6 Do you believe God? Has your belief changed the way you live? This age ended with the descendants of Israel, in bondage in Egypt. (Exodus 1:1ff)
5. MOSAIC (Law given to Israel) So Moses went down unto the people, and spake unto them. Exodus 19:25
God gives Israel His Law at Mount Sinai -The Mosaic Law was in three divisions, each important to the others, and together they formed the Mosaic Covenant.
These three elements form "the law.”
But if the ministration of death, written and engraven in stones, was glorious, so that the children of Israel could not stedfastly behold the face of Moses for the glory of his countenance; which glory was to be done away: How shall not the ministration of the spirit be rather glorious? For if the ministration of condemnation be glory, much more doth the ministration of righteousness exceed in glory. 2 Corinthians 3:7-9
The ordinances gave, in the high priest, a representative of the people with Jehovah; and in the sacrifices a "cover" or an atonement. This period ended by the rejection of the Jesus as Israel’s Messiah, and the death of the Son of God on the cross of Calvary for the sins of the world.
6. DAVIDIC David wanted to build God a permanent house, but God would not allow him to because he was a man of war. Instead, God promised David he would establish his kingdom forever.
And thine house and thy kingdom shall be established for ever before thee: thy throne shall be established for ever. According to all these words, and according to all this vision, so did Nathan speak unto David. Then went king David in, and sat before the LORD, and he said, Who am I, O Lord GOD? and what is my house, that thou hast brought me hitherto? 2 Samuel 7:16
The destruction of the Kingdom of Judah by Nebuchadnezzar in 586 BC brought an end to the rule of the royal house of David. The Jews were taken to Babylon. However, the family of David remained until the incarnation of Jesus.
Both Joseph and Mary were from David’s family through David’s sons Nathan and Solomon; Jesus was the only heir to the kingdom of Israel; he did not choose to sit on the secular throne, he ascended the spiritual throne, and now he is exalted to the right hand of God.
While the Pharisees were gathered together, Jesus asked them, Saying, What think ye of Christ? whose son is he? They say unto him, The Son of David. Matthew 22:42
Jesus is now seated at the right hand of God.
So then after the Lord had spoken unto them, he was received up into heaven, and sat on the right hand of God. Mark 16:19
At the end of the Great Tribulation he will sit upon the throne in Jerusalem as King of Kings.
And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse; and he that sat upon him was called Faithful and True, and in righteousness he doth judge and make war. His eyes were as a flame of fire, and on his head were many crowns; and he had a name written, that no man knew, but he himself. And he was clothed with a vesture dipped in blood: and his name is called The Word of God. And the armies which were in heaven followed him upon white horses, clothed in fine linen, white and clean. And out of his mouth goeth a sharp sword, that with it he should smite the nations: and he shall rule them with a rod of iron: and he treadeth the winepress of the fierceness and wrath of Almighty God. And he hath on his vesture and on his thigh a name written, KING OF KINGS, AND LORD OF LORDS. Revelation 19:11-16
God’s Word is true and it will happen. This will end with Jesus taking over all the governments of the world. He will destroy all the unsaved as he returns in power and glory at his second coming.
7. PALESTINIAN COVENANT And it shall come to pass, when all these things are come upon thee, the blessing and the curse, which I have set before thee, and thou shalt call them to mind among all the nations, whither the LORD thy God hath driven thee, And shalt return unto the LORD thy God, and shalt obey his voice according to all that I command thee this day, thou and thy children, with all thine heart, and with all thy soul; That then the LORD thy God will turn thy captivity, and have compassion upon thee, and will return and gather thee from all the nations, whither the LORD thy God hath scattered thee. Deuteronomy 30:1-3
The Palestinian Covenant gives the conditions under which Israel entered the land of promise. It is important to see that the nation has never possessed the whole land. Israel has never occupied more than 30,000 square mile, but they have been promised over 300,000 square miles. The reason Israel has not occupied more land than they do now is their disobedience. To this day they are living in disobedience to God. They have totally rejected God’s Son as their Messiah. There are many today who are missing out on God’s best blessings because of disobedience. One day this will change for Israel, when the fullness of the Gentiles comes to an end.
Today nations threaten to wipe Israel off the map, but they must first get by God. Israel’s allies are becoming fewer in the world today, but God’s plan will stand.
Hitler and others tried to remove the Jew from the face of the earth and their bones lie in a grave somewhere. What God has planned for his ancient people he will carry out and no man, or nation will stop him.
And I will bless them that bless thee, and curse him that curseth thee: Genesis 12:3
Obeying God is always right. Are you fully obeying the Lord, or are you holding on to, or engaged in something that displeases him.
This judgment on Israel will come to a conclusion at the end of the great tribulation when Jesus returns then Israel will become the head of all the nations.
8. New Covenant Summary For if that first covenant had been faultless, then should no place have been sought for the second. For finding fault with them, he saith, Behold, the days come, saith the Lord, when I will make a new covenant with the house of Israel and with the house of Judah: Hebrews 8:7-8
The New Testament church enjoys the new covenant; The Grace of God.
(1) Better than the Mosaic covenant not morally, but efficaciously. Hebrews 7:19; Romans 8:3,4
(2) Established on "better" (unconditional) promises. In the Mosaic Covenant God said, "If ye will" Exodus 19:5 in the New Covenant He says, "I will" Hebrews 8:10,12
(3) Under the Mosaic Covenant obedience sprang from fear Hebrews 2:2; 12:25-27. Under the New Covenant we obey from a willing heart and mind. Hebrews 8:10
(4) New Covenant secures the personal revelation of the Lord to every believer. Hebrews 8:11
(5) The complete oblivion of sins. Hebrews 8:12; 10:17; 10:3
(6) Rests upon an accomplished redemption. Matthew 26:27,28; 1Corinthians11:25; Hebrews 9:11,12,18-23
(7) Secures future conversion, and blessing of Israel. Jeremiah 31:31-40
For this is the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel after those days, saith the Lord; I will put my laws into their mind, and write them in their hearts: and I will be to them a God, and they shall be to me a people: Hebrews 8:10
The New Covenant is the eighth, thus speaking of resurrection and of eternal completeness. This will end with Satan being cast into the lake of fire and the Great White Throne Judgment. Today, we are in the Dispensation of Grace. How blessed to know our sins are all paid for by the atoning death of Jesus upon Calvary’s cross. My friends, this message we are all charged with to share with all the world.