My Kind of Church
- Some are looking for a church with things for the children. (How about giving them God's Word)?
- Some are looking for a church with a lot of emotions. (Emotions are more important than truth, with some).
- Some want a church where they feel welcome and people are friendly.
- Some want a church that keeps telling them how much God loves them, and they are special. (A social gospel)
- Some want a church that teaches that God will bless them with things they want, if they give Him their tithes.
- Some want a church where they can speak in tongues.
- Some want a church where they feel, God is healing all the time.
- Some want a church where the preacher does not preach long, or about sin, hell or the judgment.
- Some people are looking for an intellectual speaker.
- Some want a large church, and some want a small church.
- Some want a church with a gym, and lots of recreation.
- Some want a church with a bus to take trips.
- Some are looking for a good choir and lots of singing.
- Some are looking for a missionary minded church.
- Some want a King James Bible only church.
Now these are some of the things people are looking for and desire in a church. The question then is, are these qualities what a church is supposed to offer? Are these the things that people should be considering when they choose a church? How do we have so many different views when the Bible tells us what kind of church pleases the Lord?
Why God Gave Leaders
And he gave some, apostles; and some, prophets; and some, evangelists; and some, pastors and teachers; For the perfecting of the saints, for the work of the ministry, for the edifying of the body of Christ: Till we all come in the unity of the faith, and of the knowledge of the Son of God, unto a perfect man, unto the measure of the stature of the fulness of Christ: That we henceforth be no more children, tossed to and fro, and carried about with every wind of doctrine, by the sleight of men, and cunning craftiness, whereby they lie in wait to deceive; But speaking the truth in love, may grow up into him in all things, which is the head, even Christ Ephesians 4:11-15
Let's Remember What a Church is For:
In the above passage the Apostle Paul tells us a great deal about what the leaders of the church are supposed to be doing.
- For the purpose of the public worship of God.
- For the believers to be instructed in righteousness.
- For the believers to learn how to serve the Lord.
- For the believers to fellowship and encourage one another.
- For believers to work together in getting out the gospel.
- The church at Ephesus was a working church and it stood for the truth. But they did not love the Lord as they once did, and he was displeased.
- The church at Smyrna had the Lord's complete approval and the believers were suffering and working hard.
- The church at Pergamos had false teachings going on, and the Lord was displeased with them, also.
- The church at Thyatira had some good works, but they allowed a woman who called herself a prophetess, to teach. She was a false teacher and the Lord was not pleased with this.
- The church at Sardis had a reputation for being a church that was alive, but they were a dead church, Jesus said. They were busy for nothing.
- The church at Philadelphia received good comments from the Lord because they were serving him as they should.
- The church at Laodicea made the Lord sick because of their attitude and spiritual condition. Their pride, because of the vast wealth of the members, displeased the Lord.
- Jesus is looking for a church of people who love him.
- Jesus is looking for a body of believers who work to get the gospel out to the lost.
- Jesus is looking for teachers who are teaching the truth. (Rightly dividing God's Word, by God's Word).
- Jesus is looking for humble people who are spiritually minded.
- Jesus is looking for willingness to suffer for his name sake when Satan attacks his people.
- Jesus is looking for people who are faithful, no matter what challenges they face.
- Jesus is looking for a church to take a stand against sin.
In the scriptures we are warned many times of those who will pose as spiritual men, but in truth they are of Satan, presenting a mixture of truth with error, into the churches. We must be on guard for such men and women. Below is one of such warnings.
This know also, that in the last days perilous times shall come. For men shall be lovers of their own selves, covetous, boasters, proud, blasphemers, disobedient to parents, unthankful, unholy, Without natural affection, trucebreakers, false accusers, incontinent, fierce, despisers of those that are good, Traitors, heady, highminded, lovers of pleasures more than lovers of God; Having a form of godliness, but denying the power thereof: from such turn away. For of this sort are they which creep into houses, and lead captive silly women laden with sins, led away with divers lusts, Ever learning, and never able to come to the knowledge of the truth. 2 Timothy 3:1-7
Now, so that it is clear to everyone, I am sharing this passage of scripture from the Living Bible.
Oh, foolish Galatians! Who has cast an evil spell on you? For the meaning of Jesus Christ's death was made as clear to you as if you had seen a picture of his death on the cross. Let me ask you this one question: Did you receive the Holy Spirit by obeying the law of Moses? Of course not! You received the Spirit because you believed the message you heard about Christ. How foolish can you be? After starting your Christian lives in the Spirit, why are you now trying to become perfect by your own human effort? Have you experienced so much for nothing? Surely it was not in vain, was it? I ask you again, does God give you the Holy Spirit and work miracles among you because you obey the law? Of course not! It is because you believe the message you heard about Christ. In the same way, "Abraham believed God, and God counted him as righteous because of his faith." The real children of Abraham, then, are those who put their faith in God. What's more, the Scriptures looked forward to this time when God would declare the Gentiles to be righteous because of their faith. Galatians 3:1-8 (NLT)
When it is all said and done and we are brought before the judgment, will the spiritual training we had here in the church we attended and supported, have been what will be pleasing to the Lord? That is a tough question, I know. As a church leader, I have heard people say many times, "one church is as good as another, so it doesn't matter which church I go to as long as I go!" THAT IS A TOTALLY DECEIVED PERSON!
Now lets consider the many who say they are believers in Christ as their savior, but do not attend any church regularly. What does that say about their spiritual training? Let's remember, in this life as a believer, we are preparing now for our service to the Lord in heaven for eternity. Our position in heaven will have to do with our growing in grace here, and we cannot grow without hearing the Word of God, and allowing it to conform us to the image of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. There are no short cuts to growing in grace and pleasing God!
The results of the church that suits people is the work of the Lord is not being carried out. We have churches who do not support missions. We have churches that are not New Testament churches. We have churches that are only activists in nature. We have churches which are cults. We have churches that provide only a social gospel, and are crowd pleasers. We have churches whose doctrines are filled with error. We have churches that is nothing more than religion. Now someone may say that I think I know it all! No! I admit I am not a know it all. But I know what I know, because I have read and studied the Word of God, and I have seen, heard and know people. This explains why people do not want to hear the gospel.
But if our gospel be hid, it is hid to them that are lost: In whom the god of this world hath blinded the minds of them which believe not, lest the light of the glorious gospel of Christ, who is the image of God, should shine unto them. For we preach not ourselves, but Christ Jesus the Lord; and ourselves your servants for Jesus' sake. 2 Corinthians 4:3-5
Always remember this; God's Word says what it means, and it means what it says. It is not what I think or what anyone else thinks. But it is what the Word of God says and that is what we believe. Today, people can find any kind of church that they may want, but, there is only one kind of church that pleases the Lord Jesus Christ. Remember, only those who follow the truth will get the Lord's blessing.
Father in heaven, give us the grace to live by faith in your written Word, in Jesus' name. Amen. Preacher