Why Are They Here
Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, and cometh down from the Father of lights, with whom is no variableness, neither shadow of turning. James 1:17
Many have often wondered about the people who cannot help themselves, as to why they have to be like they are. Permit me to share with you some thoughts as to why the mentally retarded, or physically handicapped are in our world. God takes full responsibility for all people, who they are, and what they can or cannot do.
And Moses said unto the LORD, O my Lord, I am not eloquent, neither heretofore, nor since thou hast spoken unto thy servant: but I am slow of speech, and of slow tongue. And the LORD said unto him, Who hath made man's mouth? or who maketh the dumb, or deaf, or the seeing, or the blind? have not I the LORD? Exodus 4:11
Each mentally retarded, or handicapped person has their own set of circumstances and these vary in many ways. Some people have very few limitations, mentally or physically, while others are very severe. We are discussing different situations but our focus leans more toward the severe cases. Here are some characteristics that many of us are familiar with.
- Many are not appreciated, needed, loved, or understood properly.
- Many are unwanted, forsaken, abused or neglected.
- Some cannot provide food, clothing, shelter, etc... for themselves, or others.
- Some cannot contribute to society by paying taxes, buying products, offering ideas, supporting programs, etc...
- Some cannot be responsible for themselves and their presence, and many of them depend upon someone for supervision.
- Some cannot think intelligently or speak.
- Many cannot dress themselves, feed themselves, etc..
- Often their caregivers think they are in the way, or too much trouble.
- Many end up incarcerated and/or homeless, because they have no one to care for them.
My friend, may I say, our government DOES NOT take care of the disabled, and mentally ill as it should.
So, why are they here? Many have either thought this, or asked. Do they have any purpose in this world? On the surface it would seem that such a person is only a big responsibility to a family or to society. But a closer look brings to light some amazing facts that can change the lives of those who are in some manner related to them.
To the Christians, the Apostle Paul wrote to the church at Rome;
And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to his purpose. Romans 8:28
In other words, nothing happens in a believer's life which is not intended for good. I know that takes in a lot of territory, but it is true, according to God's word. So just what do the mentally incompetent, or the physically handicapped people contribute to our world? I shall first show briefly how some are used by God with his people, the saved, and then I'll briefly discuss some of the ways God uses them with the unsaved.
The mentally retarded, or physically handicapped people in relation to Christians:
- They can be used by God to slow down a rushing, busy family and cause them to examine life's values. Fast living can be self living, that often ends with broken or dysfunctional families.
- They can be used by God to teach others to be servants as they give of themselves.
- They can be used by God to show us the needs of others, which in the best case scenario teaches people to be kind and compassionate.
- They can be used by God to draw men closer to Him and His divine will.
The mentally retarded, or physically handicapped people in relation to the unsaved:
What about the community of unbelievers and their views? What can the mentally or physically handicapped contribute to these who actually do not know God? Of course, unbelievers will never see, and realize all the benefits and blessings these people can give, but:
- God can use them to speak to the lost, that there is something vastly wrong with this world.
- They can show man his littleness and his need of God's wisdom and power, as provided in His marvelous grace.
- He uses them to show mankind in general, how far we are from the perfection of God. God did not create a person this way, but He permitted it. Satan is the author of all sickness, deformities, etc...
- God uses these people to make others realize their own blessings and count them as precious, when often they have been taken for granted.
Mark, in his gospel in chapter five, verses one through twenty tells of the man living among the tombs. When he saw Jesus, he came running to him to worship him. This man was possessed with demons who were very vicious. He had broken the chains that had held him. He was naked, crying and cutting himself with stones. Jesus asked him his name and he said, Legion, because so many demons controlled him. See Mark 5:9
But Jesus cast all of these demons out of the man and they entered into some swine (hogs), that were near by. Right then, the hogs jumped over the cliff and drowned in the sea. Just that fast, the demonic man had his right mind and had clothed himself. But even though the people saw the great result of this once possessed man being freed, they begin to pray that the person who had caused this change would leave the country. Why? Because, they lost financially when their swine drowned. The freed man now wanted to go with Jesus, but Jesus told him to go home and tell others what good things the Lord had done for him. That's what God wants us to do also.
Do you see how handicapped this man was? Yet he was to be used by God to help others as he went out into the world to tell all who would want to be helped about the wonderful things Jesus had done for him. Sadly, it is true that there are some people we cannot help. But God is giving them an opportunity if they want it. The mentally or physically handicapped need to be ministered to and the Lord gives people an opportunity to be a blessing to someone in need. By being obedient, many will earn great rewards for heaven.
Wherefore we labor, that, whether present or absent, we may be accepted of him. For we must all appear before the judgment seat of Christ; that every one may receive the things done in his body, according to that he hath done, whether it be good or bad. 2 Corinthians 5:9-10
So, the mentally retarded, or physically handicapped are not to be just an unwanted burden on families and societies. They are the means by which a loving God has blessed us with to teach valuable life lessons. However, if we close our hearts and minds to them, then God's blessing will be rejected and those who need the love and attention of others will suffer at the hands of a hostile world.
Why are these "special" people here? For your sake, my friend! Count your blessings now and thank God for them all because God makes no mistakes. He knows what He is doing! Help some such person today or those who are caring for them.
Howbeit Jesus suffered him not, but saith unto him, Go home to thy friends, and tell them how great things the Lord hath done for thee, and hath had compassion on thee. Mark 5:19
Heavenly Father, thank you for your great wisdom and love. We pray for the mentally retarded and the physically handicapped that are among us. Bless those who attend to them and their families. May our hearts be touched by their need and may we be a blessing to them. Above all blessings, thank you for salvation in our Lord Jesus Christ who spared not Himself, when we were afflicted by our sin. We do pray for the salvation of all today, in Jesus' name. Amen, Preacher