Did you know that the Jew is the most hated of all people. He is blamed for many of the ills of the world, even today. Yet, he has been the greatest blessing to all the people of the world. In this study I will explain what the Bible tells us about the Jew, and not what man and his history may tell us. Abraham is the person chosen by God to begin the creation of the Jewish nation. In the beginning, there were no Jews. Abraham was an Assyrian living in the region of Ur of the Chaldeans some 1900-2000 years or so before Christ, it is thought by some scholars. The Book of Genesis tells us about how God told Abram to leave his family, and his country and go to a land he would show him. Being obedient and faithful as Abram was, he took his wife and his nephew Lot and began a long journey without having any idea of where he was going, just because God told him to. This is history, and is found in Genesis beginning in chapter twelve.
And Abram took Sarai his wife, and Lot his brother’s son, and all their substance that they had gathered, and the souls that they had gotten in Haran; and they went forth to go into the land of Canaan; and into the land of Canaan they came. And Abram passed through the land unto the place of Sichem, unto the plain of Moreh. And the Canaanite was then in the land. And the LORD appeared unto Abram, and said, Unto thy seed will I give this land: Genesis 12:5-7a
God later promised Abram, who in the future would be known as Abraham, that he would give him a seed who would be the recipient of the land of Canaan. Again, notice God said the seed would be to Abraham. Abraham had a number of children, but we will see God’s promise will be to the only son who Sarah his first wife bare him, Isaac. God made this promise to Abraham when he was seventy five years old, but he will be one hundred before God will give Sarah, who will then be ninety, his promised seed. Because God did not give Sarah a son immediately, she took it upon herself to “help” God fulfill his promise and told Abraham to take her hand maid and have a son with her. (Folks, God does not need any help to fulfill his promises). But, Abraham took Sarah’s hand maid Hagar, an Egyptian, and they had a son who would be known as a wild man. His name was Ishmael.
And he will be a wild man; his hand will be against every man, and every man’s hand against him; and he shall dwell in the presence of all his brethren. Genesis 16:12
The Twelve Tribes
From the descendant’s of Ishmael would come twelve sons who would form the twelve nations of people who would always oppose the descendants, of Isaac the seed of Abraham. Isaac was the seed of Abraham that God promised to use to form a people for himself. From Isaac would come the twins of Esau and Jacob. Of these two boys God chose Jacob, and from Jacob would come twelve sons who would later form the twelve tribes of Israel.
I have loved you, saith the LORD. Yet ye say, Wherein hast thou loved us? Was not Esau Jacob’s brother? saith the LORD: yet I loved Jacob, And I hated Esau, and laid his mountains and his heritage waste for the dragons of the wilderness. Malachi 1:2-3
These twelve tribes of Jacob, whose name later would be changed to Israel, his spiritual name, would become the Jewish nation of Israel. God will use this nation of people to accomplish his purpose in writing all the scriptures and to bring about the Savior into the world, as well as many other accomplishments for the good of mankind.
I have found the following information on the web concerning the Jewish people. Given that Jews comprise a mere 1/4 of 1% (13 million) of the world's population (about 7 billion), and that 99% of the world is non-Jewish, the following list of accomplishments by Jews is quite impressive.
- Of the 660 Nobel prizes from 1901-1990, 160 have been won by Jews. Jews have won more Nobel prizes than any other ethnicity. They have won 40 times more than should be expected of them based upon population statistics.
- Albert Einstein, the most famous scientist of the 20th century, proposed a groundbreaking theory of relativity (including his famous equation e=mc²). His work laid the foundation for much of modern physics and had a profound impact on everything from quantum theory to nuclear power and the atom bomb.
- Karl Marx, a German philosopher, economist, and revolutionary, wrote: The Communist Manifesto and Das Kapital, with the help of Friedrich Engels. These works greatly influenced modern socialism and all social sciences. Marx is considered one of the founders of economic history and sociology. Medicine
- Dr. Sigmund Freud, an Austrian physician, was the founder of psychoanalysis and father of psychiatry. He theorized that the symptoms of hysterical patients represent forgotten and unresolved infantile psychosexual conflicts. His psychoanalytic theories profoundly influenced 20th-century thought.
- Dr. Jonas Salk created the first Polio Vaccine.
- Dr. Abraham Waksman coined the term antibiotics.
- Casmir Funk, a Polish Jew, pioneered a new field of medical research and coined the word "vitamins."
- Dr. Simon Baruch performed the first successful operation for appendicitis.
- Dr. Paul "magic bullet" Ehrlich won the Nobel Prize in 1908 for curing syphilis.
- Dr. Abraham Jacobi is considered America's father of pediatrics.
- Dr. Albert Sabin developed the first oral polio vaccine. Business and Finance
- Haym Solomon and Isaac Moses are responsible for creating the first modern-banking institutions.
- Jews created the first department stores: The Altmans, Gimbels, Kaufmanns, Lazaruses, Magnins, Mays, and Strausses became leaders of major department stores.
- Julius Rosenwald revolutionized the way Americans purchased goods by improving Sears Roebuck's mail order merchandising.
- Hart, Schaffner, Marx, Kuppenheimer and Levi Strauss became household names in mens' clothing.
- Isadore & Nathan Straus - "Abraham & Straus," eventually became sole owners of Macy's, the world's largest department store, in 1896.
- Armand Hammer (Arm & Hammer) was a physician and businessman who originated the largest trade between the U.S. and Russia.
- Louis Santanel was the financier who provided the funds for Columbus' voyage to America.
- Levi Strauss invented durable pants first used by Forty-niner’s during the Gold Rush. These "wonderful pants of Levi's" were made of a heavy blue denim material called "genes" in France. The pants he created, called levis or jeans, have become an emblem of the American West and an emissary of the Western lifestyle --egalitarian, utilitarian, independent -- around the world. Christmas Songs Composed by Jews Many of us do not know these songs were composed by Jews:
- “Let it Snow” was written by Sammy Cahn who changed his name from Cohen. He was Jewish and he died in 1993.
- “White Christmas” made famous by Bing Crosby, was written by Israel Baline, a Russian Jew who took the name Irving Berlin. He also composed “Easter Parade.” Berlin died in 1989.
- “Winter Wonderland” was written by Felix Bernard, who was Jewish. He died in 1944.
- “The Christmas Song” was a big hit, and begins, “Chestnuts roasting on an open fire.” Mel Torme wrote and recorded this. Another Jew, he died in 1989.
- “Silver Bells” was written by Jay Livingston. He, too, was Jewish. He passed away in 2001.
- “Rudolph, the Red-Nosed Reindeer” was made very popular by Gene Autry. It was written by Johnny Marks, a Jew who died in 1985.
- “Sleigh Ride” came from the pen of Mitchell Parish, another Jew, who died in 1993.
Yet, with all these accomplishments, and there are many more things they have contributed to the well being of the world, the Jew is still greatly despised. Why, do you wonder? Because, God used the Jew to tell the world of God’s great plan of redemption in the Holy Scriptures. They reveal Satan and his wicked plot to deceive mankind out of their souls. The Word of God also tells how God sent his only son to die for the sins of the world. It was the Jewish nation and the tribe of Judah that gave birth to the Messiah, the Jew’s had looked for. It was a Jewish virgin who gave birth to the Savior who was of the lineage of Israel’s great king David. The plight of the Jew today the reason for all their trouble is they did not accept the Messiah God sent and had him crucified. One day, they will recognize him as their Messiah and receive him with wondrous praise.
And it shall come to pass, that in all the land, saith the LORD, two parts therein shall be cut off and die; but the third shall be left therein. And I will bring the third part through the fire, and will refine them as silver is refined, and will try them as gold is tried: they shall call on my name, and I will hear them: I willsay, It is my people: and they shall say, The LORD is my God. Zechariah 12:8-9
It is because of this history, that two thirds of all the Jews will be killed during the seven year tribulation before they are willing to accept the Messiah God gave them long ago. How sad that so many people both Jew and Gentile are blind to the truth that Jesus is their only hope of salvation with life eternally. The Land God gave to Israel the land of Canaan. Some have estimated that this would amount to around 330,000 square miles. However, Israel has never occupied all the land God gave to her, but one day she will. Because of Israel’s disobedience to the Lord she has been put out of her land, and often while in it she has been harassed by her many enemies. During the reign of King David Israel did occupy most of the land God promised to give her. Today, there is a push to give even part of what she now enjoys to the Palestinians so they can be a nation. What those who are behind this will not accept is God warned of anyone dividing that land.
I will also gather all nations, and will bring them down into the valley of Jehoshaphat, and will plead with them there for my people and for my heritage Israel, whom they have scattered among the nations, and parted my land. Joel 3:2
The problem with world leaders and people in general is, they fail to realize that the Word of God, the Holy Bible, says what it means and mean what it says. God is going to have the last say in how people treat his chosen people, the Jews. Here is what God told Abraham long, long ago.
Now the LORD had said unto Abram, Get thee out of thy country, and from thy kindred, and from thy father’s house, unto a land that I will shew thee: And I will make of thee a great nation, and I will bless thee, and make thy name great; and thou shalt be a blessing: And I will bless them that bless thee, and curse him that curseth thee: and in thee shall all families of the earth be blessed. Genesis 12:1-3
And the LORD said unto Abram, after that Lot was separated from him, Lift up now thine eyes, and look from the place where thou art northward, and southward, and eastward, and westward: For all the land which thou seest, to thee will I give it, and to thy seed for ever. And I will make thy seed as the dust of the earth: so that if a man can number the dust of the earth, then shall thy seed also be numbered. Arise, walk through the land in the length of it and in the breadth of it; for I will give it unto thee. Genesis 13:14-17
By the way, let me remind you, our Savior was born among men as a Jew, but he has the blood of Gentiles in him as well. Rahab, Tamar, Bersheba and Ruth were Gentiles who were in the blood line of our Savior. Folks, we are told in the scriptures to pray for the peace of Jerusalem.
Neither is there salvation in any other: for there is none other name under heaven given among men, whereby we must be saved. Acts 4:12
Father, bless all our readers today and I pray that they might love your ancient people, the Jews. Amen Preacher